If you’re looking for a bellyful of beef then we’ve staked out all the best steak houses in Auckland.
Pretty much every bistro style restaurant has a steak on the menu, but that doesn’t make it a steakhouse. These are restaurants that truely specialise in steak. Offering all manner of different cuts, from different beef breeds, wet or dry aged and grilled or slow cooked. There’s options for everyone (except vegans), from sensibly sized eye fillets to enormous rump steaks. Grass fed NZ beef to grain feed Japanese Wagyu. So loosen your belt and tuck in to a great steak from any of these Auckland steakhouses.
- Angus Steakhouse is not the fanciest steakhouse in town, but it is the most manly. It’s an Auckland institution and even though it’s moved location it’s still every bit as good as I remembered. Don’t come here looking for anything other than steak. They do have other options; but it’s a steakhouse, so put on your big girl panties and order a great big slab of beef. Angus steakhouse has a small salad bar and then you choose a steak and they cook it to you liking. All the steaks cost the same price, the cheaper the cut you choose the bigger the portion. The rump is enormous. Perfect for visiting rugby teams. Located in Fort Lane near Britomart. https://www.angussteakhouse.co.nz/
- Jervois Steak House. Located on Jervois Road in Ponsonby is the fanciest, and priciest steakhouse in Auckland. The steak’s are amazing, so is the kumara mash. I don’t even like kumara; that’s how god damn good it is. Jervois Steak House is great for a date. Prices range from $41 for a petite eye fillet of Angus beef up to $162 for a Wagyu Sirloin. See the full menu at https://www.jervoissteakhouse.co.nz/
- The Grill. SkyCity’s The Grill is located on Federal Street in the CBD. This is a New York style steakhouse. It’s on par with Jervois Steakhouse for quality of experience. Steaks here range from $43-$98 although if you’re REALLY hungry they have some steaks designed to share that will set you back up to $135 for a 1kg (2.2pound) T Bone. https://skycityauckland.co.nz/restaurants/the-grill/
- Botswana Butchery. Found in the Ferry building on Auckland’s waterfront. Botswana Butchery is all about meat. They have a wider variety of meat than most steakhouses but don’t worry there’s still an excellent selection of beef. Steaks here range from $37-$105 https://www.botswanabutchery.co.nz/auckland/dinner/ The waterfront location makes this a great steakhouse for tourists, or a pretty good option for a date night.
- Saxon and Parole in Auckland’s Commercial Bay overlooks the harbour. This is a pretty high end offering. Great for a boozy, beefy, business lunch. The ‘Holy Cow’ serves 4-6 people for $349 comes with 4 different cuts of beef all prepared differently. My one beef with Saxon and Parole is that the sharing menu has the options I want most, but it is way to much food for a couple. https://www.saxonandparole.nz/menu
- Wynyard Grill. Located over the road from Park Hyatt in Wynyard Quarter, it’s one of the only steakhouses to offer Japanese Wagyu beef. Most of the other Steakhouses in Auckland source their Wagyu from NZ & Australia. You’ll pay through the nose for Japanese beef. A 160 gram Japanese Wagyu beef steak is $175 at Wynyard Grill. But they also offer NZ grass fed eye fillet steak for $45, and have a range of options in between. Find your perfect steak at https://wynyardgrill.co.nz/
- Tony’s Steakhouse is Auckland’s oldest steakhouse, it’s been running for almost 60 years. It’s popular with locals and tourists alike. It’s kind of like going back in time, back to a time when dining options in Auckland were pretty limited and Tony’s was one of the best around. Now days Auckland has so many great options that Tonys very traditional menu seems a little plain. The steaks are reasonably priced, with all but the largest under $40. It’s good, just not great. https://www.tonys.co.nz/
- One Tree Grill. Located in Epsom this Bistro has a selection of quality steaks. It’s a really nice restaurant. Very good, but not great. However it is good value if you compare the quality of atmosphere and food with the price. Steaks here range between $45-$55. I would say it’s perfect for a nice family dinner. https://www.onetreegrill.co.nz/
- Big Little Grill in Elliot stables is a great place to go before a movie, either on a casual first date (the vegan check) or with a group of friends. The steak here is cooked over a charcoal grill, and very reasonably priced with pretty quick service. Don’t expect fine dining though. Elliot Stables is basically a really nice food court, with bit of atmosphere. Because of the charcoal grill this place smells amazing. Perfect for a midweek movie date night. https://www.elliottstables.co.nz/biglittlegrill
- New York Grill is a excellent steakhouse located on the roof of Westfield Newmarket. The steaks range from $37 for a fairly average NZ steak to $85 per 100 grams for some exceptional Japanese Wagyu. There’s plenty of options in between as well, so you can plot price, against size and tastiness on a graph. You’ll find your perfect steak where the lines intersect. Or you can just empty your bank account and demand they bring you the biggest tastiest steak in the house. https://www.newyorkgrill.co.nz/
Pricing is accurate as of March 2021. Views and opinions are the ramblings of a madman.